Discover how orthopedic care from San Jose Orthopedic Center can help you.
There are many different approaches to orthopedic care. Orthopedic care is one of the primary methods of conservative treatments and is often utilized before surgery is considered. In many cases, different varieties of orthopedic care are used in even conjunction with other treatment methods.
The best treatment for you depends on your:
- Specific injury or condition
- Your medical history
Orthopedic care includes:
- Braces, custom orthotics, and slings – These are immobilizing pieces of equipment that are helpful in supporting an injured area and keeping it still while it heals.
- Compression – Compression is used in order to increase blood flow to an injured area.
- Elevation – Elevating an injured area can reduce swelling.
- Ice and heat therapy – Icing an injured area reduces swelling, while applying heat reduces pain.
- Injections – Injecting things like corticosteroids into the joints, tendons, and ligaments can reduce pain. Injections can also involve nerve stimulation, which prevents the spinal cord and brain from receiving pain signals.
- Massage – Massage therapy can boost blood circulation in an injured area and reduce tension in the muscles.
- Physical therapy – Different stretches and exercises can be used to relieve pain, increase strength, and improve range of motion.
- Rest – In many cases, resting an injured area is all that is needed in order to provide pain relief.
- Taping – Taping, when done correctly, can stabilize a joint and reduce injury risk during athletic activities.
- Weight reduction – Through diet and exercise, many patients find relief from hip and knee conditions once weight is reduced. However, you should always talk to your doctor before starting a weight loss plan.